Black lives matter. As we witness one of the most powerful civil rights movements in recent memory, many are wondering how we can best help to keep the cause moving in the right direction. Mireille Cassandra Harper wrote a fantastic (and now viral) Twitter series called 10 Steps to Non-Optical Allyship. It’s short yet packed with excellent information and a good place to start if you don’t know where to begin. You can read that here.
In Mireille’s #6, she talks about the importance of donations to funds and supporting initiatives. It’s important to put your MONEY and your PEN to work. This is by no means a complete list of the many, many places to donate. If you know of any worthy causes that should be added to this list, send an email & link to me so I can add them!
Here are some great places to give:
- The Minnesota Freedom Fund: Their mission is to pay the criminal bail and immigration bonds for those who cannot afford to as they seek to end discriminatory, coercive, and oppressive jailing. Donate here.
- Sanctuary Hotel: this isn't a hotel anymore, this is a community resource made possible by George Floyd. George Floyd was a shelter worker. He worked at the largest homeless shelter in Minneapolis. He supported and advocated for people experiencing homelessness while he was alive, and this Sanctuary will be a part of his legacy. Donate here.
- Black Lives Matter: Their mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives. Donate here. As an aside, some are claiming that BLM donations go directly to the DNC. Don’t fall for it; it isn’t true. Further reading/fact checking on this matter here.
- No White Saviors: No White Saviors is an advocacy campaign led by a majority female, majority African team of professionals based in Kampala, Uganda. Our collective experience in the development & aid sectors has led us to a deep commitment to seeing things change in a more equitable & anti-racist direction. Donate here.
- Other ways to donate: Here’s a list of other places you can donate, compiled by Black Lives Matter. Visit the list.
Other ways to help:
How SGS is giving back: When you check out, be sure to visit the cart page before you jump to the payment page. The cart page is where you will find the dropdown list to choose the charity in which a portion of the sale will be automatically donated. In addition to other worthy causes, I’ve chosen to add Black Lives Matter (as listed above) to the list. (If you skip this page, the donation will be automatically split between all causes listed in the dropdown.)
And remember that as the media coverage of BLM begins to wane, the fight will not be over. Even if news begins to fade from your social media feeds, the struggle remains. If you are in a position to donate money, please do. "Redistribution of wealth is key in both the short-term and long-term to bring about change."-Mireille Cassandra Harper
Photo by James Eades